1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (25)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg whites (64)
1 cup sugar (774)
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (100)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (172)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips (70)
Mojito icing ingredients:
3/4 cup powdered sugar (360)
2 tbsp butter (200)
1 tsp of milk (5) – optional, depends on how thick you want your frosting
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 shot of rum (20)
Juice from half of a small lime (10)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites, and sugar.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the batter into a small baking pan lined with cooking spray (I used 11×7).
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Do the toothpick test. Then take them out, and let them cool!
- For the icing, beat the butter and powdered sugar together with an electric mixer until they get a good consistency. Add in the lime, rum, and mint!
- The icing gets a better consistency when it’s cold, so stick it in the fridge.
Total: 1205 calories (15 brownies), 1805 calories with frosting
Per serving: 80 calories, 120 with frosting
To be honest: I really love Jenna Fischer’s brownie recipe! The mojito frosting was just a whim of mine, and I didn’t do it very scientifically. I just dropped in the mojito ingredients little by little, and added more after tasting it.
Inspiration: Jenna Fischer’s 88 calorie brownies